Who's the best German silversmith in history?

Do not post mark questions here.
AllSeasons

Who's the best German silversmith in history?

Post by AllSeasons »

Very subjective question, but I was just curious. I've collected quite a few German pieces by now, nothing spectacular, but always very interesting, especially the Hanau ones. When someone asks who's the best carpenter in British history, I would answer Chippendale. Was there someone like that for silversmiths in Germany? Just curious. Thank you!
gsmoggy

Re: Who's the best German silversmith in history?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Allseasons
I am sure you would get many differing opinions on this question,depending on the time period you are talking about.

In Hanau late 1800-1900. the top companies are said to have been J.D Schieissner,Neresheimer,Georg Roth.

Although not German (Austrian) my top pick would be Hermann Ratzersdorfer (1867-1872) some of the carved rock crystal and enamel work created by the company was mindbogglingly (if there is such a word) good, and the craftsmanship was spectacular.
Of coarse most of these firms created objects ,that were made in the 1650-1750,or earlier by many very good German Silversmith of that period.

Christol Ritter 11 ,1577-d1616.Eustachius Hohman 1582-d1612,Tobias Kramer 1582-1613.died 1634. There were I am sure may more talented silversmiths.

These early silversmiths works , from Nuremberg ,would be mainly in museums.

Regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Wenzel Jamnitzer
Regards
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, why exclude more recent masters ? Reinhold Vasters (also a brilliant forger), Richard Garten, Alexander Schönauer, Adolf v. Mayrhofer, Josef Wilm, Robert Fischer, Werner Bünck, Ulla Mayer - to name just a few... Regards, Bahner
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you for all the replies. I looked up some of these masters online, and they all look very interesting, but I would have to say that Reinhold Vasters really piqued my interest with his life story. I guess my follow-up question is: Which of these masters, if any, whose works would a layman like me with limited means ever have a chance of acquiring? I have a couple of Neresheimer and Georg Roth pieces, but that's about it.

Cheers!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

German Renaissance silver is beyond the scope of an ordinary collector.
Have you searched for e.g. Louis Kuppenheim enamelled pieces ?
Regards
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

AG2012 wrote:German Renaissance silver is beyond the scope of an ordinary collector.
Have you searched for e.g. Louis Kuppenheim enamelled pieces ?
Regards
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked him up, and his work looks very interesting/nice; still a little spendy, though. Just out of curiosity, is silver enameling in vogue right now?

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “General Questions”