1834 James Dixon & Son Sheffield Hallmarked Teapot

Do not post mark questions here.
silverly

1834 James Dixon & Son Sheffield Hallmarked Teapot

Post by silverly »

This teapot is 12”/30cm from handle to spout across and 7”/18cm tall. Any information at all including the style and the finial bust identification or anything else about this piece would be very much appreciated
silverly

Re: 1834 James Dixon & Son Sheffield Hallmarked Teapot

Post by silverly »

The decorative panels on this teapot:

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Here are some comments about your teapot for your consideration:
I’d call the style a good example of 19thC Romanticism. You have a portrait bust on the finial that I believe is Homer, with his laurel leaf crown. Then in order, other symbols from Antiquity: a large laurel leaf crown, symbol of triumph, success, victory, accomplishment; the rod of Asclepius, symbol of healing and professionalism; a rooster, symbol (among others) of masculinity, bravery, and protection; a dog, symbol (among others) of loyalty, affection, and companionship. On each pictorial panel you have primroses in the background, symbol in the language of flowers of youth, renewal and optimism.
I don’t know if these panels were customized to specifications from the donors of the teapot, or rather if the manufacturer had a number of designs ready-made, with only an engraved personalization to customize the object. Those who know more about James Dixon might be able to help in this regard.
I find the language of the dedication to be particularly charming.
Regards.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thank you! I couldn’t ask for a better response?
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure!
silverly

Post by silverly »

Giving this a bump just in case there is anything that can be added to its story.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Not really sure what info you’re seeking. As James Dixon & Sons is still in business (under different ownership), you might contact them to see if their archives could shed light on productions such as this teapot. Was it totally made to order, or was it a stock model personalized for a specific client. You have the model number and approximate date of production to go on.
Also, you could do some genealogical research to find out more about the recipient of this gift.
Good luck in your continuing research!
Regards.
silverly

Post by silverly »

JayT wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:00 pm ...you might contact them to see if their archives could shed light on productions such as this teapot. ...you could do some genealogical research to find out more about the recipient of this gift.
Thank you for the suggestions. I did try contacting the company's successors with no response. As far as genealogical research went, I found more than one Joseph Crowther with what I considered was the reputation to merit such a presentation. Oh well! It was worth a try.

Return to “General Questions”