Spink Query

Do not post mark questions here.
LAM

Spink Query

Post by LAM »

Spink and Son query.
Hi members,
I’ve been retained by a descendant of Sarah Spink (Daniel Elgar 3, Marshall 2, John 1) to research the Spink line. I joined this group to seek information and to provide information. I have documents, which can verify my findings.

Does anyone know the first name of Spink and Son who apparently established the business in 1770? It was not Marshall Spink. He was born in 1762 in New Malton, Yorkshire, UK. He was the son of John Spink and Mary Marshall.

In 1778 Marshall Spink was apprenticed to Innholder, John Flude, where he carried on the business of Pawnbroker and Silversmith at 2 Gracechurch Street, London. Marshall Spink finished his apprenticeship in 1790 and carried on business at 2 Gracechurch Street.
Between the years 1790 - 1830 records from the Directories, Poll and Tax records, Marshall Spink's profession varied from Innholder, Pawnbroker, Silversmith and Goldsmith.

His places of residence were between Berkshire and 1 & 2, Gracechurch Street. His son Daniel Elgar (born circa 1792) finished his apprenticeship as an Innholder in 1818.

Up until 1819, the UK and London Directory records identified the firm traded as M Spink & Co. In 1820 the name of the business was styled M /Marshall Spink & Son, and later changed to Spink and Son.

Is anyone able to assist me as to who Spink and Son were in 1770?

As an aside, John Flude advertised his business as an Innholder and Pawnbroker, situated at the Three Golden Bells, 2 Wood Street near Cripplegate, and later 2 Gracechurch Street, UK.

Thank you!

Return to “General Questions”