Silver plate date letters.

Do not post mark questions here.
paulh
contributor

Silver plate date letters.

Post by paulh »

Does anyone know if any records of silver plate
date letters for manufacturers such as Mappin and Webb, Martin, Hall & Co and James Dixon?
paulh
contributor

Re: Silver plate date letters.

Post by paulh »

paulh wrote:Does anyone know if any records of silver plate
date letters for manufacturers such as Mappin and Webb, Martin, Hall & Co and James Dixon?
I have date letters for Walker and Hall and Elkington, but would like to find others.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Paul,

A while back we did try to crack the dating systems of Mappin & Web and Martin, Hall & Co., but made little progress:

British Silverplate Dating Systems - Mappin & Webb

British Silverplate Dating Systems - Martin Hall & Co.

One of the problems we encountered with the Mappin & Webb system was that there appears to be at least two different sets of letters in use at any one time, one for 'Princes Plate' and a different set for 'Mappin Plate'.

You cracked the Walker & Hall system, it would be great if you took up the challenge for the others.

Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Trev.
What a challenge! I was hoping that there would be a nice convenient record somewhere. I have all sorts of pieces with "date letters" but it is almost impossible to date them accurately. Presentaion engravings help in some cases, but htere is nothing to say that the engraved pieces were not old stock and the engraving was from a date later than the manufacture of the piece. I have established that W&H had a different system for their catering/hotel pieces. Instead of the regular shield used on their domestic pieces, the date letter was in a lozenge.

I will let you know if I find anything about other manufacturers. Don't hold your breath though!

Paul.

Return to “General Questions”