A Question on when an item in the U.S. must be marked "weighted"

Do not post mark questions here.
Penguin

A Question on when an item in the U.S. must be marked "weighted"

Post by Penguin »

Hello,

I have a question that has arisen after I found a set of candlesticks.

Context

The candlesticks are the work of Victor Siedman MFG Co. of Brooklyn NY. This site states they were in operation from roughly the 1920's-1930s ( https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_S3.html )

My question is, is it often the case that weighted items are not marked as "weighted"?

I found this quote when searching about the National Gold and Silver Stamping Act of 1906 but am unsure if its a later addendum,

"First, based on the comments, the Guides now caution marketers against using silver or platinum terms to
describe all or part of a coated product unless they adequately qualify the term to indicate the product has
only a surface layer of the advertised precious metal."

This pair of candlesticks only has 3 marks, the "S" in square makers mark, the word "sterling" and a pattern number. No reference to being weighted.

I get the impression they are weighted as they are completely muffled and dull sounding when tapped together. As if a material that "conducted" the sound poorly is inside.
AllSeasons

Re: A Question on when an item in the U.S. must be marked "weighted"

Post by AllSeasons »

Based on what I have seen, some weighted pieces in the US are not marked weighted, especially the earlier ones. I'm not sure about regulations, but the word "sterling" is regulated, and cannot be used for silver-plated pieces. Otherwise, it would constitute a federal offense. For the case of weighted items, the regulations seem to be more murky. For reputable makers like Gorham, Reed & Barton, they almost always mark their items as weighted, if the base is filled or reinforced with cement, or if there's glass or non-silver metal rod inside. However, it is not 100%. I have even seen Tiffany pieces, especially candlesticks, that are clearly weighted but are not marked as such, and only have "sterling" marked but not "weighted".

In my experience, 99% of American sterling candlesticks are weighted. This I believe is not just due to cost considerations, but also due to liability concerns, since we as Americans tend to be more litigious than most other countries. If the candlesticks fall over and cause a fire, then it's a big lawsuit, so stability is important. European candlesticks, especially the older ones, tend to be non-weighted, but some British ones from earlier are still weighted and covered with felt.

When I look at an American candlestick, if the bottom is flush and has concentric circles, then it's invariably weighted. When I look at an American shaker, muffineer, bowl, etc., I also check for a flush base and whether it's glass-lined (for shakers). If you can rule out these things, chances are good that the piece is not weighted. But, it's very hard to check the arms of the candlestick or for non-silver metal rods, especially online. For candlesticks, the only non-weighted ones I have seen made by American silversmiths are of different form factors from the traditional ones, e.g. ones shaped like a vase, with very, very few exceptions.

Hope this helps.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Thank you for your thoughts and information. I am certain they are weighted and was just intrigued they weren't marked.

Thanks again.

(Pics for anyone interested)

AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

I also just bought a vase that is not marked weighted, but the base looks suspiciously weighted. I posted about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60498

The seller was adamant that it's not weighted, but I still have my doubts. I guess I'll know better once I get it in the mail.

Return to “General Questions”