General question on Hamburg marks

Do not post mark questions here.
AllSeasons

General question on Hamburg marks

Post by AllSeasons »

I have a general question on Hamburg marks. I read the section on it on this website, but I didn't see a minimum purity level associated with the Hamburg marks. The Hamburg marks I've seen on item only have the towers mark and the maker's mark, but no purity mark,like 800 or 835. Can I assume that all items with the Hamburg mark have at least 800 purity? Thank you in advance!
Bahner
contributor

Re: General question on Hamburg marks

Post by Bahner »

Hello, in many cases a German city mark would also guarantee a certain minimum fineness, so an additional mark would not be necessary. This was the case in Hamburg and Altona, believe the minimum standard was 12 Lot / 750 fine. 800 was very uncommon before 1884. Regards, Bahner
AllSeasons

Re: General question on Hamburg marks

Post by AllSeasons »

Bahner wrote:Hello, in many cases a German city mark would also guarantee a certain minimum fineness, so an additional mark would not be necessary. This was the case in Hamburg and Altona, believe the minimum standard was 12 Lot / 750 fine. 800 was very uncommon before 1884. Regards, Bahner
Perfect, thank you! I have 4 Hamburg spoons to pick up from the post office today, so definitely looking forward to that.

Return to “General Questions”