G. Weeton Manufacturing Company

Do not post mark questions here.
Traintime
contributor

G. Weeton Manufacturing Company

Post by Traintime »

Seem to have found this one listed at the same address as the Toronto Silver Plate Company Limited in this (on-line) directory:
https://books.google.com/books?id=YeLUw ... da&f=false

Any relationship between them?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: G. Weeton Manufacturing Company

Post by dognose »

Hi Traintime,

I suppose there in always a possibility of a mis-print with the address, especially as the Toronto Silver Plate Co. detail is placed immediately above that Weeton. Having said that, their advertisements and products do seem remarkably similar:

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... on#p170526

As can be seen, their address in 1900 was different to that printed in that directory.

They appear to have been struggling in 1902:

Trade Conditions in Montreal as Interpreted by a Wholesaler

Montreal, Can., March 8.—There seems to be something seriously the matter with the jewelry and silver ware trade in Montreal. At the present time, H. Shapiro 1s offering his creditors 25 cents on the dollar, cash, which will mean a sale, later on, and on Saturday, the G. Weeton Mfg. Co, announced an auction sale of their silver ware to take place throughout March. Meeting a prominent wholesale jeweler in one of the department stores, The Circular-Weekly correspondent expressed surprise, as it has been an understanding in the trade, very much advertised and insisted upon, that wholesalers and jobbers must confine themselves to the legitimate retail trade. The wholesale man in question, however, had this to say concerning the situation:

“You say you wonder at seeing me here. I am here, nevertheless, because it is imperative. The legitimate jewelry trade of Montreal is going all to pieces. Once upon a time I did a business of thousands a year with Williamson, with Rice Sharpley, with R. Dickson, and others, and now these and even Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co., have closed up, and no one takes their place. Who does the business, then? Undoubtedly the large departmental stores, and to continue in business at all I have got to sell to them. Mind, I firmly believe that the public would support just the same number of reliable retail men that they ever did and more, but for some reason the right men not until they do, you need not wonder that I am catering for the departmental trade, because, if I didn’t, my American competitors would, and I should be left out in the cold.”

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 12th March 1902

Detail from the The Toronto City Directory - 1903:

Perhaps some research into Charles Z. Parker may offer a clue.

Trev.

Return to “General Questions”