Dutch (?) silver framed art

Do not post mark questions here.
AllSeasons

Dutch (?) silver framed art

Post by AllSeasons »

Well, I've got a tough one for the forum. This is a very interesting piece of framed wall art, depicting 5 cherubs. There are unfortunately no markings that anyone could find, and no one has been able to establish any provenance yet. To my untrained eye, it appears to be old silver with age-appropriate tarnish; however, I have no idea as to its artistic or historical significance. The details still seem to be there, so hopefully it wasn't polished too much. It also seems to be higher quality/purity silver, since I do not see any green spots from the copper, given the tarnish. The seller said he tested it using 925 acid with a deeper cut; you can see the small nick on the edge of the item in one of the photos below. He also believes that it could be Dutch or French Art Nouveau from the 1850's. The work seems to be partly repousse and partly chiseled. It weighs 118 grams. There's no additional provenance whatsoever beyond that.

Please see the images below. Any light you could help shed on this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Return to “General Questions”