identity of portrait bust on box?

Do not post mark questions here.
gsmoggy

identity of portrait bust on box?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members
my latest Hanau box ,George Roth,any clues who he is supposed to be? may be composer or count.
I suspect he may be German.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Re: identity of portrait bust on box?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members

I have had a suggestion ,it may be Maximilian 111 Joseph ,Elector of Barvaria ,(1727-1777) As I said box made in older style.

I have noticed his portrait on coins. It may be him.

Regards Guido.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
I think this is a portrait of a monarch, given the ermine collared robe he is wearing. My vote goes to the French king, Louis XVI.
Roth romanticized French history and copied French marks, so I think Louis XVI is a strong possibility.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The hair (wig) is far too long for Louis XVI. In every portrait I have seen, his ears are clearly depicted. In this profile the wig (hair) falls on shoulders.
But we cannot expect accuracy in depicting monarchs on silver.
Regards
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

@AG2012
You’re right. Louis XVI is usually depicted with his hair in puffs or rolls over the ears, then long in back, sometimes tied with a ribbon.
Nevertheless I still think he is a good candidate because of the symbols for Marie Antoinette, Louis XVI’s wife, depicted on the box: bows and roses.
But as you say, it is a fantasy piece, so who knows if the box was supposed to portray a real person.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Thanks
Jay,Ag ,for your suggestions . A bit tricky as we do not know how accurate the image on the box is.
I still feel , that Maximilian 111 may be who he is supposed to be (at this stage)

Any other opinions would be great. I have added an image from a 1760 silver thaler coin ,with his image,has some similarities .Image

Guido
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Just guessing but how about George II of Great Britain? Looks somewhat similar and he is often depicted facing left like in the box. I think Hanau silver was exported to Britain which could explain the choice of the monarch. Do the hallmarks give any clues?
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Sarsropakis
Thank you very much for your suggestion,I feel you are correct,that it is George11.

He was born in Germany ,family history German. Facing same way ,collar and front of his clothing ,his long curly hair.
Are all similar to image on box.

Great work ,many thanks ,always great to identify the images on things we have.

I have added a color image that confirms it is him. In my opinion.
There are no other English import marks ,only the Hanau marks posted.

Guido.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

That portrait does look very similar indeed. George II had strong German heritage and connections so for British market one could sell the box with a portrait of King George and for German market with a portrait of Kurfürst von Braunschweig-Lüneburg (=Hannover).

Return to “General Questions”