Silver Caster dated 1725.

Do not post mark questions here.
jobstodo

Silver Caster dated 1725.

Post by jobstodo »

Hello,
Hope you can give a little advise regarding a Silver Caster I purchase from a online auction,
the caster was advertised as being dated 1806, but I checked the upper K on another great website ( Silver maker marks ) and found
the rounded bottom longitudinal of the K that seemed to date the caster 1725 plus no duty mark, so I decided to email Phil from the
Silver maker mark website , he replied that it was 1725 and but there is normally a mark on the top half that he could not,
I told him that I had found a either uppercase W or M on the underside and that I would send photos,
he emailed me after seeing the photos and told me the makers mark was either Starling Wilford or Samuel Welder,
I would dearly love to find out more about the lives of the Two Silversmiths and the Silversmith that taught them there skill,
if anybody has any advise about any book I could purchase that contained information on the Silversmith it would be greatly appreciated.
The caster has Three parts and I will try and attach photos.
Kind regards,
Ronnie.Image
jobstodo

Re: Silver Caster dated 1725...

Post by jobstodo »

Hello,
Hope its okay for me to add a couple of photos to this post? One of my main photos showing the actual caster as disappeared.
Plus I think this forum is a fantastic place to gain knowledge regarding researching everything relating to Silver.
Would anybody know how I could find any information regarding the actual design of this caster?
the caster has an internal piece that I think is for sifting and regulating the flow of whatever this castor was used for?
the caster is nearly Three hundred years old and I think ( personally) that this little snug fitting internal part is quite rare,
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
RonnieImage.
ImageImageImage

Return to “General Questions”