Re Joseph Ash1 working life?

Do not post mark questions here.
gsmoggy

Re Joseph Ash1 working life?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Members

I recently purchased a Joseph Ash 1 silver box (posted on this forum) My box 1809.
I noticed in a book in the library ,That his mark registered in 1801,first see on object 1805,last seen 1809.

are these dates correct,seems strange first seem piece 4 years after registration and only worked 4 years.

should have taken note of book (did not)

does anyone have similar information.

regards Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Re Joseph Ash1 working life?

Post by AG2012 »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Ash registered marks not just in 1801 but also in 1810 and 1818. I have noted his mark up to 1817, so we can definitely assume a working period to 1818 and beyond.

But to expand on your remark about a potential 4 year working life: this is not quite as unusual as it might seem and there are several reasons for an apparently short working life. An early death is one possibility, especially during a period when life expectancy was low. Entering into a partnership with another silversmith will also be a cause of a mark disappearing. Thirdly bankruptcy or simple inability to make a profit may force a worker into the employ of a master with his own mark. Finally we can consider the possibility of emigration; there are certainly examples of silversmiths leaving the country to start a new life in places where there were no formal marking standards.

Phil
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Many thanks AG and Phil.
for all the great info.it just shows not to take what is in one book as to be completely accurate.
that makes more sense ,I felt 4 years was a very short working time (would have been a rarer item)

Regards Guido.

Return to “General Questions”