Silverware Products Canada Ltd.

Do not post mark questions here.
Palumbaro

Silverware Products Canada Ltd.

Post by Palumbaro »

I'm researching the owner of Silverware Products Canada, Kurt Max Linke. Mr Linke arrived in Canada from Germany in 1930. He opened "Silverware Products of Canada" around 1932 and remained in business (Silverware Products (Canada) Ltd.) until the late 1950s at various locations in Toronto: 72 Duchess St., 98-110 Munro St, and 100-108 River St. For a period in the mid-'40s, he ran Link (no "e") Brass and Copper Ltd. out of the same location.
Can anyone offer any further details on this company and its products?
Thanks for any help!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Silverware Products Canada Ltd.

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

A couple of snippets:

Silverware Products ( Canada ) Ltd., 98 Munro St., Toronto, are calling for tenders in connection with addition to their plant. Tenders being received by the architect, B. Brown, 21 Dundas Square, Toronto.

Source: Engineering and Contract Record - Volume 5 - 1942

Silverware Products (Canada) Ltd., 98 Munro street, has plans by Benjamin Brown, 21 Dundas Square, for plant building at 108 River Street, to cost about $12,000.

Source: Steel - 1943

Trev.
Palumbaro

Post by Palumbaro »

Thanks Trev! I've Googled "Silverware Products (Canada) Ltd." umpteen different ways, with no results. You must have that magic search button I hear about ;-)
In 1943, they were gearing up the Link Brass & Copper part of their operation - a brass foundry and "automatic screw machine parts", according to the Toronto business directory.
Thanks to you and others, I hope there's more out there to discover.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

At least we know they had their own motor vehicle! Below are details of a speeding ticket:

Source: The Newmarket Era and Express - 30th September 1943

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I'm seeing Art Deco lamps. The in-metal mark of "SP-in-shield" is confirmed by the accompanying decal with full names and location meeting Canadian electrical standards. Oddly, brass & brass plating, and lead (?) based metals but no silverplate. (It might be one of the marks that turns up on SP shaker sets every now and then.) The mark image can be found on the CollectorsWeekly site as part of a question.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Forget that lead part...what was unreadable was an abreviation for an antenna lead (ANT LEAD) being used to mark the opening for a power cord.
Palumbaro

Post by Palumbaro »

Thanks, Traintime, the Collectors Weekly lead (not a wire!) lead me to a few other Silverware Products items.

Return to “General Questions”