Albert Henry Jephcott

Do not post mark questions here.
Peartree
contributor

Albert Henry Jephcott

Post by Peartree »

I am researching A H Jephcott & Sons, a Leicester jeweller / silversmith founded by Albert Henry Jephcott in c 1920 with AHJ & S mark. In 1937 AHJ mark was registered. See images. They had links to Dryad and Leicester School of Arts, including post 1945. Any information gratefully received. Thank you. Anthony

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Albert Henry Jephcott

Post by dognose »

Hi Anthony,

I note that in the Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society's tenth exhibition, held at the Grosvenor Gallery, 51a New Bond Street, London in 1912, there were two examples of the work of A. H. Jephcott, a silver muffineer and a silver spoon. Both items were exhibited by Harry H. Peach of Dryad.

Trev.
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

Yes, thank you very much. Also a bronze piece in the 1906 Exhibition. I have a feeling the later silver which is occasionally seen, c 1945, may be made by the son, who is “invisible”. I also think there must be a photo of their shop somewhere!!!
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

Courtesy of some offline help below is where I have got to.

Albert Henry Jephcott of A H. Jephcott & Sons, 1 Regent Street Leicester. The AHJ mark was registered in 1937 and almost certainly relates to Albert Henry senior (1885-1955) – his same named son (1903-1976) is listed in 1939 as an “electrical radio engineer”.

Albert Henry Jephcott senior first appears in the 1906 Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society, helping Robert Emerson execute item 297, a “bronze gong” exhibited by Collins & Co, forerunner of Dryad Metal Work. Emerson was at the Leicester School or Arts and most likely Jephcott was still a student at this point.

By the 1912 Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society Jephcott is listed as both a designer and silversmith for Dryad Metalwork, working for Harry Peach (Exhibits 31b, silver muffineer; 393 silver spoon). No doubt Jephcott continued working with Dryad (the 1917 Studio Yearbook features a tea set he executed for Dryad, page 94), but his main occupation c 1912-1920 appears to be as a teacher of jewellery and metalwork at Leicester School of Arts and Crafts (by then Leicester Technical College) working under Sidney Reeve. In c. 1926 Jephcott produces a pamphlet published by Dryad “Simple Jewellery” where he is described as “for many years” a teacher for Leicester Education Committee, and “formerly of Dryad Metal Work”. See images.

In around 1920 he sets up a Leicester jewellers and silversmiths, registering the mark AHJ&S, for A H Jephcott & Sons. Some silver is known from this period and is identical to that of Dryad – see a spoon on page 429 of Simon Moore’s “Artists spoons and related table cutlery”.

Quite what happens to the firm is unclear – I have a hypothesis that it closed in 1937, hence the further addition of this personal Jephcott “AHJ” mark, as on this bowl. In the 1939 “England Wales register” Jephcott senior describes himself as a “Silversmith and metalwork teacher” suggesting his commercial retail business is demised. Several pieces of silver from the 1940’s are known (erroneously ascribed to A H Jones) marked with AHJ for Jephcott. All these pieces are of a very heavy gauge, in the Birmingham/Leicester style and hint at both the passing arts and crafts movement and future 1950’s modernism. One known tea set is also marked for “Leicester School of Arts” proving Jephcott’s link was still in place even at this later date.

I would welcome anyone with further information contacting me to complete this record.

Anthony
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Anthony,

Many thanks for sharing this information with us, it's very much appreciated.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Peartree wrote:....Albert Henry Jephcott of A H. Jephcott & Sons, 1 Regent Street Leicester. The AHJ mark was registered in 1937 and almost certainly relates to Albert Henry senior (1885-1955) – his same named son (1903-1976) is listed in 1939 as an “electrical radio engineer”....
David Bramwell Jephcott who was born in 1920 was Albert Senior's second son. David's Great Britain, Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificate record taken on 13 May 1939 shows him as an Engineering student.

Return to “General Questions”