Safe to use .800 silverware?

Do not post mark questions here.
Ahrens

Safe to use .800 silverware?

Post by Ahrens »

We recently inhered a set of silverware (.800 Swiss maker Jezler, Baguette pattern). The Jezler coat of arms and the "0.800" are together in one stamp, which I read probably indicates pre-1930's. It's been in storage for decades. I think it would be nice to actually use it instead of putting it back into storage. Is .800 silverware safe to use for dining every day? Are any of the other metals mixed to make .800 silver dangerous to use regularly, particularly for children ? Thanks so much!
AG2012
contributor

Re: Safe to use .800 silverware?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. Possible silver flatware toxicity has been discussed elsewhere on internet.
I think the issue is exaggerated having in mind overall pollution (toxic fumes in the air, food additives etc).
Besides, there is no silver flatware poisoning in medical literature and references. Not a single case reported.
Silver may spoil the taste of certain foods (acid) but it`s safe and it has antibacterial properties.
Silver is alloyed with copper, with traces of other elements. Sterling is 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper, .800 has 80% silver and 20% copper.
There are electronic testers if you want to determine exact composition of the alloy.
Regards
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi Ahrens
Jezler Baguette .800 alloy is 80% silver and 20% copper. It does not age, so absolutely safe to use. Go ahead, use it daily. Visible wear after years and decades of use create character and are fine. My coffee spoon is more than 200 years old, my daily flatware is also Jezler Baguette, more than 100 years old. This is no problem.
Spoons and forks are dishwasher safe. Also, feel free to mix it with other flatware, for example stainless steel, in the dishwasher. It may tarnish while using it, mainly due to contact with food containing sulfur. (Eggs, Sauerkraut, Eggplant, Zucchini....) If this is the case, hand polish it.
Just be careful with the knives in the dishwasher. The blade may come out. You can test it the hard way: Put one knife in 80-90 dec C water for 15 minutes and observe it.
If the blade starts coming out, it is not dishwasher safe. (Using heatproof gloves, push the blade back in the handle while it is still warm and quench it in cold water, then it is fine again.
If necessary, consider buying a used set of dishwasher proof Baguette knives. If you contact me, I can give tips where.
Regards, Jörg
Ahrens

Post by Ahrens »

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate your assistance. I have polished a handful of the pieces, and they are absolutely gorgeous. I'll be happy to make use of set. I'm glad to know that the pieces are dishwasher safe too. We don't have any knives. I would like to know where we could purchase dishwasher safe knives. Thank you again.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I may be over cautious about this, but because of the chemicals in dishwasher soap, I hand my coin (.900) silver that I use daily.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

European dishwasher soap must be a lot milder than here in the US. The major brands here will, in a dozen washings, turn your silver an ugly mat grey that does not polish off without the use of an electric buffer. My silver is always hand-washed.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Silver flatware is meant to be used on daily basis and it will not tarnish if hand washed after meals with a few drops of detergent and soft cloth. Then just rinse it. Microscopic layer of silver compounds on the surface will be removed. Let`s not be spoiled with dishwashers.
Enjoy your silver !
Regards
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Ok, it is 3 against me... :-)
I am aware I may be the only barabarian putting my 0.800 silver in the diswasher. But I never had problems, the silver remains shiny. Discoloration usually comes from using it on certain food. I may need to handpolish 2-3 times a year, but I am fine with this.
Regards, Jörg

Return to “General Questions”