Got a general question

Do not post mark questions here.
Dael69

Got a general question

Post by Dael69 »

When a maker applies a gold filled on a silver base metal, the item must be marked for silver content?

Im asking this because I have a pocket watch marked "Dueber 14K gold filled" in the case but it really looks like silver, it is from 1900-1910 and has no corrosion at all and I dont see any silver marks on it.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Got a general question

Post by Aguest »

Not really, in the case of American pocket watches it can be tricky. This company did mark their cases, and they were a popular watch case brand, the gold-filled cases are often marked as "20 Year Cases" and they can be yellow gold or less-commonly white gold. I suppose this case is gold-filled white gold, they certainly had the capability to make white gold cases.

The tricky issue is that sometimes you will find pocket watch cases that are unmarked, but they test positive for 14k gold or another high gold content number. These cases are certainly more than gold-filled, but they are not marked as such. I like the rose-gold and green-gold cases, sometimes you see those colors in watch cases.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

That is very interesting. I emailed Eterna with the serial numbers and the watch movement is dated in 1930. When I look at the surface of the case with a magnifying glass, it seems very homogeneous and I cant see any other metal even where the chain was supposed to be attached.

I see this guy Dueber knew how to do his work pretty well.

So it can be brass or silver base metal but we couldnt know unless we scratch the surface, thing that I WONT do. :D
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unlike the heaviest electroplate, in gold filled process gold is mechanically bonded under heat & pressure to base metal. The quantity of gold must be at least 5% by weight of the total product. In a word, gold layer is very thick, and your watch case is properly marked.
Cheers
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Gold-filled does not mean it is yellow gold-filled. The case is obviously 14kt white gold bonded to a nickle base.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Why I didn't think about nickel... OFC it was pretty common base metal for pocket watches. So my questions are answered if you have silver as base metal you don't really need to apply any gold finish on it, common sense. I have a cartier wrist watch that is silver and gold plated but that one has all the marks for silver content and thats why Im asking here if marking is a must.

Thanks a lot for the info guys.

Return to “General Questions”