Towle Hallmark

Do not post mark questions here.
dmfresh

Towle Hallmark

Post by dmfresh »

Hello, I'm new at this so I hope this is not a dumb question. I have some Towle "Old Master" sterling flatware which does not have the Towle hallmark. It is marked "TOWLE STERLING PAT" but there is no hallmark. Does anyone know why? Thank you.
silverly

Re: Towle Hallmark

Post by silverly »

Welcome to the forum. I don't imagine that there is anything at all wrong with your flatware. If you do stick with silver for a while, it won't take long for you to learn how common your marking is. In the meantime, it is a fair question.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I see that I didn't really answer your question. The reason why is that the name Towle was a registered trademark for sterling and sterling mounted flatware, so that and of course the word sterling for the fineness of the silver were the only markings that were needed.
dmfresh

Post by dmfresh »

Thank you for replying. I was alittle worried it might be counterfeit. Does that ever happen with sterling?
Also thank you for welcoming me. I'm finding silver collecting to be addicting.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Counterfeiting sterling flatware does happen and your pattern might be one that has been targeted for that because it has been pretty popular over the years. I think serving pieces in desirable patterns are the most susceptible. I have not seen any examples of your pattern being counterfeited; I just accept the possibility of it happening when there is money to be made. If you're really uncomfortable about the authenticity of your flatware, I would take to someone that deals in it. These days that would probably be a good antique dealer or a business that sells replacement pieces. They would probably have no trouble telling you something about your pieces.

My hunch is that what you have is absolutely fine. Old Master is a nice pattern to have. I hope you enjoy it.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

The "T-lion" maker's mark may be in the pattern on the heel. On certain patterns the maker's mark is "hidden" by using it as part of the pattern. To the best of my knowledge there are no Towle patterns that do not include the maker's mark, though what the present owning company chooses to do is beyond my control.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Have seen quite a bit of their sterling with only the sans-serif "TOWLE" - my Mom's 1930s luncheon set of Candlelight, while having the 1934 patent date present, does not have the lion-T mark, though a later 1950s dinner set does have the trademark along with the company name (no patent mark), as does a Rambler Rose teaspoon purchased new in 1956, though I've also seen that pattern, as well as numerous others, without the lion-T. Since Old Master was introduced in 1942, and the "PAT" is present on your piece, it's a fairly safe assumption that you simply have an older piece (have seen quite a few marked like yours) - if you're interested, the U.S. Patent number is D131670, granted Mar. 17, 1942, designed by Harold Nock.

Not at home right now to check my files, but also can't seem to recall seeing the lion-T trademark used in their advertising past perhaps the 1910s-20s, though it seemed to come back into their ads maybe 20-25 years ago - sorry, just rambling.....

~Cheryl
dmfresh

Post by dmfresh »

Thanks everyone. The person I bought the set from said it has been in her family since the 40's so I will assume they are older original pieces and enjoy them :) Thanks again.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

dmfresh wrote:Thanks everyone. The person I bought the set from said it has been in her family since the 40's so I will assume they are older original pieces and enjoy them :) Thanks again.
Just as a note - Mom's earlier set has deeper, better-defined die-work than the later set, suspect that same would hold true on your pattern.

~Cheryl
Dwaitha

Post by Dwaitha »

I have not seen a Towle mark exactly like this. I'm not an expert but isn't there usually a number after the PAT. There is someome posting on FB ith the same issue and we cannot even find his pattern anywhere.

Return to “General Questions”