dognose wrote:Hi Mike,
Welcome to the Forum.
Sarl & Sons - London - 1861
dognose wrote:The Bankruptcy Act, 1869
In the London Bankruptcy Court
In the Matter of Abraham Sarl, of No. 45, Cornhill, in the city of London, Silversmith and Jeweller, a Bankrupt
Before Mr. Registrar Spring-Rice
Upon reading a report of the Trustee of the property of the bankrupt, dated the 12th day of February, 1876, reporting that so much of the property of the bankrupt as can be realized without needlessly protracting the bankruptcy has been realized for the benefit of his creditors, and has not yielded sufficient to pay the expenses of the bankruptcy, and that the whole of the assets have been accounted for to the Court, and upon reading the report of the Official Assignee, dated the 22nd day of March, 1876, and upon hearing Messrs. Michael Abrahams and Roffey, the Solicitors for the Trustee, the Court being satisfied that so much of the property of the bankrupt as could be realized without needlessly protracting the bankruptcy had been realized for the benefit of his creditors, and had not yielded sufficient to pay the expenses of the bankruptcy, and that the whole of the assets had been accounted for to the Court, doth order and declare that the bankruptcy of the said Abraham Sarl has closed.
Given under the Seal of the Court this 23rd day of March. 1876.
Source: The London Gazette - 31st March 1876
dognose wrote:Is this what you want?:
dognose wrote:Perhaps the end of the Sarl connection at 17 and 18, Cornhill?
This one is a little difficult to read:
Block C consists of the handsome edifices erected within the last seven years, from designs by John Barnett, Esq., architect, for Messrs. John Sarl and Sons, silversmiths, and situated 17 and 18, Cornhill, directly opposite the Bank of England, and, alike for elegance of building as well as situation, perhaps the most desirable in the City. With a very trifling outlay, these, in accordance with the plans and designs originally made, will be converted in about three weeks into Offices, and two-thirds of the building has already been let, the ground-floor and mezanine floor being rented by the Crédit Mobilier and Crédit Foncier Companies. These premises are Leasehold for 60 years, at a ground-rent of £600 per annum.
Source: The Times - 18th March 1864
dognose wrote:Another address?:
SARL J & SONS 46-47 Cornhill
Source: Williams's Manufacturers' Directory, for London and Principal Market Towns in England - 1864
I suppose there is always the possibility of a misprint, although that seems unlikely with two numbers given. There is also the possibility of street re-numbering.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests