silvermakersmarks wrote:James Thomas Birchall registered several marks at the Chester Assay Office. The first was registered on 31 May 1924 from a business address at 53 Heywood Street, Moss Side, Manchester, with a private address at 83 Heywood Street. He is described as a "Worker in all metals". He registered a second mark on 2 May 1933 from 13 Waltham Road, Alexandra Road S, Manchester 16 as a "Designer and craftsman in metals", and a third mark on 18 June 1941 from the same address. It was re-submitted on 21 November 1950 by Mary Birchall trading as James Thomas Birchall, silversmith at 20 Central Drive, Long Lane, Cheadle and the mark was officially transferred to Mary Birchall on 21 November 1955 - probably he died around that time.
Information from "The Compendium of Chester Gold & Silver Marks 1570 to 1962" by Ridgway, Maurice H. & Priestley, Philip T., published by Antique Collectors’ Club, 2004.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests