Handle of a ladle

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
amena
contributor

Handle of a ladle

Post by amena »

On the handle of a ladle there is this engraving.
I assume it is an Italian ladle, although there are no recognizable marks, only the letters AG.
Does anyone have information on this?
Thanks for attention
Amena
amena
contributor

Re: Handle of a ladle

Post by amena »

Someone pointed out to me that the coat of arms could belong to a family from the Pesaro area.
And indeed there is a silversmith from Pesaro who has a similar mark.
Could he be the author? Or my fantasy gallops too much.
What do you think?
Thanks
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Amena,

It looks like a pretty good match to me.

Trev.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Trev for your authoritative endorsement.
I will consider the attribution to be 90% valid
In fact, I am always a little perplexed when I have to compare a real mark to a design. The designer always makes an interpretation of the mark he sees and sometimes the interpretations diverge incredibly.
See example below
Unfortunately the old books have almost all chosen to publish drawings and the few photographs published on some are of a very bad quality.
Best regards
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

On the othr hand, drawings show ideal, exact image of a mark.
(Unless there is a photo of perfetly struck mark).
Would you ever recognize a lion rampant in a photo of the mark in the middle (above examples) ?
It is easier to recognize a mark when we know what to search for.
In short, both drawings and photos are useful.
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Would you ever recognize a lion rampant in a photo of the mark in the middle (above examples)?
No, I would never have recognized him precisely because he is NOT a rampant lion, nor a winged dragon.
The first time I came across this mark I thought it was a fake, as far as it was different from the design. Only later did I realize that it was the design that was wrong. This is the danger of the design: if it was taken from a badly struck or difficult to interpret trademark, it can lead to a completely misleading image.
I understand that in the old days, when the techniques of reproducing a photo in a book were very crude or very expensive, it was necessary to resort to drawing, but today photography, indeed a series of photographs is far preferable.
I think that with the advent of the internet, the handbooks of the brands will be able to be re-edited in digital form with one or better some photos of real punchings.
My humble opinion.

Return to “Family Crests”