Armorial or Heraldic Identification

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
dartsil
contributor

Armorial or Heraldic Identification

Post by dartsil »

HI All,

Can anyone assist with the identification of this Armorial or Heraldic crest seen on this London 1777 salver.

Thanks in advance,
Colin

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Armorial or Heraldic Identification

Post by Sasropakis »

Looks like the coat of arms of Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield. The initials seem to support this assumption although the coronet looks a bit strange (probably that of an earl but I can't really see the strawberry leaves) and one can't be sure of the colours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Chesterfield
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I have looked up this and can see a resemblance to that, it would I think because of date be the 5th Earl of Chesterfield if we are on the correct path, it may have altered slightly with each Earl but kept the main body of the design?

Regards,
Colin
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

5th Earl is probably a good candidate. Here's a picture of his arms on a book binding: https://armorial.library.utoronto.ca/st ... ers/STA011
He wasn't made a knight of the Garter until 1805 so if we assume that the engraving is from 18th century it shouldn't have the Garter and it doesn't. But the initials don't look that much 18th century to me.

Different members or branches of the same family used slightly different arms. For example Stanhope, Earls of Harrington use a crescent in the middle to differentiate their arms from other Stanhopes and younger sons would use marks of cadency. A full heraldic achievement would include supporters, motto etc. and of course there are some artistic variations too so arms are never executed in the same manner.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

A million thanks for this latest update.

I had googled many searches and never came across this page, excellent help I must say.

My knowledge on this area is close to zero so I do tend to struggle finding a starting point.

Regards,
Colin

Return to “Family Crests”