Family crest bird with wheat stalk in beak

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
oel
co-admin

Family crest bird with wheat stalk in beak

Post by oel »

Family crest what I believe to be a dove holding In the beak a wheat-stalk. I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks.

Peter.
trevorg
contributor

Re: Family crest bird with wheat stalk in beak

Post by trevorg »

Hi Peter,
I believe this crest is for Oldfield of Durington, Lincolnshire (a dove close arg holding in it’s beak an ear of wheat).
Regards,
Trevor
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

Further research indicates that the spelling of the village of Durington in Fairbairns has either changed over time or is mis-spelled and is actually Dorrington in Lincolnshire. There are monuments to the Oldfield family (Anthony Oldfield) within the parish church of St James and St John that was erected according to a will of 1715.

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Church-o ... ecord?pt=S
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Trevorg,

Thank you very much for the assistance and valuable information. Much appreciated
Regards,

Peter.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Are you certain this bird is a dove? It might not make a difference for the attribution, but to me this looks like a grouse or a partridge: general profile, feathers on top of head, markings on wings, and legs. Just a thought.
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

The only crests listed and illustrated in Fairbairns for a bird holding an ear of wheat vertically as that shown in the photo are described either as doves, birds or doves beaked and legged (whatever that is). I cannot comment on whether or not this is an accurate description or that engravers followed a common prescribed illustrative design as this would be for others with a better knowledge of heraldry.
Fairbairns has various families associated with this crest (Godding, Goding, Littlefield, Ouldfield) but, with the exception of Tallis of Ireland, all are described as being on a garb (a bundle of grain) and it is only Oldfield of Durington that excludes the garb.
I have excluded Tallis of Ireland, who in Fairbairns does describe the crest as a dove holding an ear of wheat (and whose arms were granted by Roberts, Ulster 1644 to Thomas Tallis Muster Master General of Ireland), as the description of the associated crest in The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales has the dove holding in it’s beak an olive branch but, similarly, this may not be fully accurate and so should probably not be excluded.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Thanks for the clarification. I guess species of bird is not as important as what said bird is holding in its beak.

Return to “Family Crests”