Fasces: Italy?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
orthogonal
contributor

Fasces: Italy?

Post by orthogonal »

Has anyone seen this kind of decoration before? It very much looks like an Italian symbol, but the pieces were made in Germany (Bruckmann).

silverly

Re: Fasces: Italy?

Post by silverly »

The reverse of the U S Mercury dime is probably one of many, many places the symbol is used.
orthogonal
contributor

Post by orthogonal »

Thank you for your quick reply!

In 2018 a single knife was sold, labled as "Italy, knife with applied fasces":

I am not totally convinced, that's why I'm asking.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unusual to have Roman fasces on German cigarette case (it is a cigarette case, right ?).
On the other hand, very appropriate gift by a German to his Italian friend in the thirties.
Regards
orthogonal
contributor

Post by orthogonal »

Not a cigarate case, but cutlery. I found another piece online (The link was removed because of "Posting Requirements"). That's why I think it might be part of a bigger commission.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, have seen this symbol on another (plated) Bruckmann flatware pattern. I was told this was for the Italian diplomatic service in Germany (1930ies) and for the offices of the Italian trade associaction in Germany. No source was given, but this seems like a possibility. Regards, Bahner
orthogonal
contributor

Post by orthogonal »

Bahner wrote: Italian diplomatic service in Germany (1930ies) and for the offices of the Italian trade associaction in Germany
:):) :) Thank you very much, Bahner! That sounds highly probable.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

For a brief period of time in Fascist Italy under Mussolini, the Fasces was the symbol used in the official silver hallmarking system :: I have an example of this hallmark, although the fasces symbol is tiny and also quite worn because it was on the hinge of a cigarette case which was constantly being opened and shut ::: I wasn't sure if the posters in this thread were aware of the use of the fasces in the official silver hallmarking system from 1934-1944 (Italy) ::::
orthogonal
contributor

Post by orthogonal »

Thank you for that reference, Aguest! Yes, "tiny, obscure hallmarks, only used for a few years" are an Italian speciality.

In this case it was the mix of A) Italian nationalistic symbol and B) german flatware that astonished me. But Bahner's explanation solved that brainteaser.

Return to “Family Crests”