lion seal

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
blonde_minx

lion seal

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
Could anyone advise what this coronet may be, could it maybe belong to an earl, baron etc. Any help appreciated
Thanks

Traintime
contributor

Re: lion seal

Post by Traintime »

If you haven't used a mirror yet, the letter "g" is what would appear.
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi

Thanks for your input but i did know it was a G, i was asking if anyone had any idea if the coronet may be for an earl, duke etc

Regards
davidappleton
contributor

Post by davidappleton »

You might try looking at the various crowns shown on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_(heraldry)) to see which ones match best with the one on your seal. I can't quite make out the figures on the brim of the crown on your seal to decide among several potential crowns there.

David
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Thanks David, that was a very helpful link much appreciated

best wishes

Mandy
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Seems that some element which should be at the base of the front arch is either obscurred or missing in the image. Is it visible to your eye?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Because any rendering of a specific crown can have so many variations, I present two Royal Air Force versions on the one British Crown: https://airlineartifacts.files.wordpres ... erware.jpg

I suspect the decorations on yours are not all for "pearls", but rather jewels. Maybe just a hunch but archaic lion supporting shield coupled with script "g" just seems to scream "George". Of course that does not mean people from MI-(select a number) will be at your door inviting you to a "light tea" at Scotland Yard on your way to the Tower of London ....yet.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Purported (personal?) seal of George the Sixth...displayed on 1937 GMR cypher (George V and Mary) Sandringham item...shows this form in a round circle, crown at top, but full lettering "GIR over VI". Anyone got the other five?

Return to “Family Crests”