help identifying markings

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
Bbriones

help identifying markings

Post by Bbriones »

i cant find this markings can anyone help me to figure this out. thanks in advance and hope to hear from anybody
Bbriones

Re: help identifying markings

Post by Bbriones »

This is a plate by the way. dish plate
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The hallmark shows that your plate was assayed in London during the assay year 1770/71 and was made by the partnership of John Parker & Edward Wakelin.

The armorial in your first picture is that of the owner, whose name you may well be able to discover with a little research - or help from some of our contributors who know about these things.

The "No 36" indicates that this was part of a larger inventory, or possibly set of plates, and I suspect that the "22 : 17" may be the weight in troy ounces and pennyweights (corresponds to about 711 grams).

Phil
Bbriones

Post by Bbriones »

Thanks phil for the info
Bbriones

Post by Bbriones »

Anyone knows anything on the first photo?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The motto is: Stare Super Vias Antiquas - To Stand Upon the Old Ways.

There appears to be a connection to Baron Bayning, but I don't think it's him.

I'll move the topic to the 'Family Crests' section of the forum.

The ledgers of Parker & Wakelin have survived, I believe they are in the V & A, but they have been published in book-form.

Trev.
davidappleton
contributor

Post by davidappleton »

Fairbairn's Crests translates the motto as "To pursue the track of my ancestors," and ascribes it to Bayning, Powlett, and Townshend.

The coronet above the coat of arms is that of a Baron.

The arms appear to be those of a younger son of the Viscount Townshend, which are identical except for the mark (possibly a five-pointed star? for a third son) in the middle. Given the dates for this silver, it may be one of the sons of Charles, 3rd Viscount Townshend, b 1700, d 1764. Yet the younger sons of the 3rd Viscount each died before the date of this silver.

The eldest son, George, b 1724, succeeded his father as 4th Viscount (he was created the 1st Marquess Townshend in 1787)
Charles, Chancellor of the Exchequer 1766, d 1767.
Edward, d 1731
Roger, killed at Ticonderoga 1759

I suspect the dates of birth of the grandsons of the 3rd Viscount are too late for the dates on the silver, as they would have been in their teens, the eldest having been born in 1755.

The arms of Viscount Townshend are blazoned: Quarterly: 1 and 4, Azure a chevron ermine between three escallops argent (for Townshend); 2 and 3, Quarterly gules and or in the first quarter a mullet argent in the center a crescent sable (for Vere).

I hope that this information is helpful.

David
Bbriones

Post by Bbriones »

So the translation of the motto “ Stare Super Vias Antiquas” is “To pursue the track of my ancestors," or To Stand Upon the Old Ways? Which one is it?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
If you read carefully - the meaning of both translations is actually the same, the first being more literal, the latter as a metaphor with the same meaning.
Regards
Bbriones

Post by Bbriones »

Thanks guys for the help
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Now that we know it is historically interesting, any chance of full photos and measurements for the record? Could it be a charger?
Bbriones

Post by Bbriones »

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Family Crests”