Royal Crest

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
blonde_minx

Royal Crest

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi, I have this wonderful i believe regency snuff box, Can anyone shed any light on this Royal crest, ive been told it belongs to King George lV circa 1820, but could it belong to King George lll. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance Mandy

AG2012
contributor

Re: Royal Crest

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
George III presentation snuffbox made of gold and royal cipher set in diamonds.Royalty seldom, if ever, owned or presented medium quality items.
Royal ciphers of both George III and IV can be googled.They are different from yours, though.
Regards

blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi Thanks for the info, do you have any idea who else may use this mark with a coronet

Mandy
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The engraving depicts imperial crown of state worn by George III on his coronation,as well as ``GR`` cipher for Georgivs Rex.
(There are variations in depicting the crown an royal cipher).
Many items and souvenirs were produced to celebrate George III golden jubilee in 1810 (silver, medals, engraved glass, wooden carved boxes, even kitchen creamware flummery molds).In a word,it could be associated with the jubilee, but certainly not owned by him.
Another possibility is a token commemorating his recovery from illness in 1789.

Regards
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

HI

Thanks for your help very interesting information

Best wishes
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

HI

Thanks for your help very interesting information

Best wishes
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi AG2012

I have been doing a lot of research on this box since our last contact and have found a little information, not all Royal snuff boxes for personal use were diamond and gold encrusted, but the most imported part is this box comes with a label inside, i will know more when i receive it myself, it may have been part of George lV collection , i will let you know more when i get it

Regards

Mandy
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Thank you for any additional info.The attribution (personal belonging) must be supported by reliable written documents and references or at least reliable provenance.`Everything else is wishful thinking.
Regards
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

HI

I wont know exactly what is written until it arrives
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi

I have had confirmation from the Royal collections at Windsor Castle that the cipher is for George lV, and that the box my have contained a miniature or watch and may have been intended for presentation by King George lV , they also say the label stating it belonged to George lV is more than likely Victorian, so this is not a commemorative box, hopefully more will come to light, but its interesting doing the research

Best wishes

Return to “Family Crests”