Family crest question: demi lion rampant

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
ckwallis

Family crest question: demi lion rampant

Post by ckwallis »

I am looking for information on the name of the family crest for a large fiddle stuffing (?) spoon. From the marks, we believe it to be made in 1854 in London by Chawner & Co (maker's mark is GA for George Williams Adams). It is a demi lion rampant that is not holding anything.

Does anyone know which family this represents?

I have a fork with a similar demi lion rampant that we believe was also made in London by Chawner & Co but in 1964. The only difference is that the lion is holding a star and we strongly suspect that it is from the Luard family, as my husband is descended from that family. Perhaps the crest on the 1854 spoon is an earlier or different version of the crest on the 1864 fork?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
ckwallis

Re: Family crest question: demi lion rampant

Post by ckwallis »

I made a mistake in my post about the fork.
I have a fork with a similar demi lion rampant that we believe was also made in London by Chawner & Co but in 1864, NOT 1964.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The Spittin' Lion...he turns up everywhere with no explanation. This one from Oxford Silversmiths Company of New York (c.1918-50):

I see him a lot on all kinds of items, some definitely Canadian. Didn't Trev post him too on a nutmeg item?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

This dude abides! He he is on that nutmeg grater: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=37612&hilit=nutmeg+lion

Always with slight variations in hatchings and details. But always roaring.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Sorry, should read "Here he is..", like "Here Hare Here". He seems to be in some maker marks too, like Frank W. Smith Company. Could this be more than just adding something British, like an organizational affiliation link. Masonic? Religion?
davidappleton
contributor

Post by davidappleton »

Traintime wrote:The Spittin' Lion...he turns up everywhere with no explanation.
He's not spitting; he's sticking out his tongue!

David
davidappleton
contributor

Post by davidappleton »

ckwallis wrote:I have a fork with a similar demi lion rampant that we believe was also made in London by Chawner & Co but in 1964. The only difference is that the lion is holding a star and we strongly suspect that it is from the Luard family, as my husband is descended from that family
The crest of a demi-lion holding a mullet (star) is used by the following families (according to Fairbairn's Crests):

Corker, Dillon, Elston, Euen, Ewing, Frew, Gladhill, Henlock, Holburne, Hulburn, Inglis, Ireton, Lamb, Lambe, Liddel, Liddiard, Lidell, Orr-Ewing, roberts, Starr, St. Lyz, Willan (these have the lion holding the star in its right forepaw): Cooke, Cramp, Dillon, English, Esdaile, Jones, Lamb, Lambe, Lawson, Leward, Lutman, Monsell, Pipon, Stable, Stewart, Stote, Warmouth, and Welman (here, the lion is holding the star between its forepaws).

There are way too many families which have a plain demi-lion as a crest for me to list here.

David

Return to “Family Crests”