Looking for info on this Black Starr & Frost

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
rong

Looking for info on this Black Starr & Frost

Post by rong »

Howdy all,
I am looking for any information on this which is one piece from a set. I have looked for a long time and cannot find this particular mark anywhere. Thanks in advance for any info.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Looking for info on this Black Starr & Frost

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi - welcome to the forums.

Really nice engraved crest. Black, Starr & Frost was the retailer - from what I can see, the manufacturer looks like Dominick & Haff. Would help to see the back in determining the pattern, guessing 'Old English Antique', introduced in 1880...

http://www.925-1000.com/ax_D&H.html

~Cheryl
rong

Post by rong »

Thanks Cheryl, Here is the back of the spoonImage

Image. Also I found a piece that had a symbol pattern by the sterling. Dont know if that helps or what it means.Image

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Very helpful - the mark is Dominick & Haff's, the pattern is 'Pointed Antique', introduced in 1895...

~Cheryl
rong

Post by rong »

Thanks much for the information. Does the dragan engraving have any signifgance or did the set happened to have it when it was purchased?

Thanks again....
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Looks like a wyvern, and it would have been a family crest (or what the family thought was their crest), and almost certainly engraved by the retailer rather than the manufacturer...

~Cheryl
rong

Post by rong »

The complete set that I have was handed down to me when my mother passed away many years ago. This set would have been her grandfathers. You explained a lot to me and why I was not able to find any info on the set. Now my journey will take me to understand the monogram. Thank you so much.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'll move the topic to the Family Crests section of the forum to see if further information can be found there.

Trev.
rong

Post by rong »

Thanks much Trev. Appreciate it.
davidappleton
contributor

Post by davidappleton »

It is, indeed, a crest. Blazoned in the language of heraldry, it would be: A wyvern statant wings elevated and addorsed.

Unfortunately, this crest is a very popular one. I am attaching the entries from Fairbairn's book of Crests which list the families who used this wyvern as a crest. As you can see, there's a bunch of them!

David

rong

Post by rong »

Thanks David, Family name on my mother side (last name Ellis) is not on the list but every little bit helps. I know very little of my mother side and have not be able to find and only know the stories I heard growing up. The sterling silver set would have been my mothers grandfather. None of the geneology sites have any help as well. Just about every thing I can find suggests the last name is english or somewhere in the UK. Although possible I think it is unlikely.
Ron,

Return to “Family Crests”