Please help with demi-lion rampant holding a ?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
silversam

Please help with demi-lion rampant holding a ?

Post by silversam »

Hello,
I know very little about family crests but I have reached a dead end tracking down the maker of this Hanoverian tablespoon.

The mark is quite rubbed, but through a little twisting and turning I believe the letters are C (or, possibly, G), A, perhaps a space, S (probably), A, R (or P or B) and D (or D ligature or D with stroke).
Best guess is CASARD, but other possibilities abound.
Google tells me that the last letter, if not an ordinary D, could be DE or pronounced ETH.
I have searched American names for the 1740-1780 or so time frame and explored Aberdeen (mainly Coline Allen), but nothing with a distinctive "D" pops up in Richard Turner's fine work.
I would be grateful for any help to at least point me toward the right country.
Thank you.
davidappleton
contributor

Re: Please help with demi-lion rampant holding a ?

Post by davidappleton »

The closest to this crest I could find in Fairbairn's Crests was the family of Sitwell. Their crest is A demi-lion rampant erased sable holding between its paws an escutcheon per pale or and argent. The crest here differs in that the demi-lion is not erased, and the escutcheon is not divided per pale and bears five fleurs-de-lis.

A review in Papworth's Ordinary and Burke's General Armory of families* bearing [Field] five fleurs-de-lis (in many cases, the shield borne in the crest matches the coat of arms) did not turn up any bearing this crest.

* Badd, Spindelow, Spindelow, Woodmerton, Ingleby, and Rochcourt/Rochecourt/Ratchcourt

David
silversam

Re: Please help with demi-lion rampant holding a ?

Post by silversam »

David,
Thank you for your helpful comments. Now I know what to call the object the lion is holding.

Return to “Family Crests”