Coat of arms on 1718 cup by William Fleming

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
trevorg
contributor

Coat of arms on 1718 cup by William Fleming

Post by trevorg »

Hello,

Can anyone help in identifying these arms please.

Regards,
Trevor
davidappleton
contributor

Re: Coat of arms on 1718 cup by William Fleming

Post by davidappleton »

The only arms that I find in a quick first search in Papworth's Ordinary of British Armorials is for Gouldsmith, Nantwich, co. Chester, whose arms are blazoned: Gules on a fess or between three martlets argent three fleurs-de-lis azure.

I had originally supposed that the field was or (gold or yellow) because of the pattern of dots was "hatching," a way of denoting the tinctures of a coat of arms in a monochrome rendition, but as (1) none of the other tinctures are hatched (and I would have expected at the very least that the fess would be), and (2) Gouldsmith was the only "on a fess between" coat of arms that I found with three fleurs-de-lis on the fess, I have to believe that this coat of arms is not hatched.

I hope that this information is helpful.

David
davidappleton
contributor

Post by davidappleton »

I just went through Fairbairn's Crests, and the crest listed there for Gouldsmith (from Kent), A Cornish chough proper goutty d'eau, does not match the crest on this item. A search in Fairbairn under the alternate spelling "Goldsmith" did not find any matches for the crest.

The surnames that do match the crest (A cubit arm the hand holding a fleur-de-lis) are for: Busfield, Hughes, Jouatt, Juatt, Nelson, Wynn, and Wynne.

I should have thought to look at Fairbairn before I posted the blazon from Papworth, but it's late on a Friday and I'm not necessarily running entirely at my best.

David
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

Hi David,
You really don't need to apologise, this information far exceeds my expectations. It gives me a great start for further research.
Many thanks and regards,
Trevor

Return to “Family Crests”