Crest on French Cristofle silverplated spoon

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
JanGroen
contributor

Crest on French Cristofle silverplated spoon

Post by JanGroen »

Good Day
I have obtained this spoon a week back. It is a Christofle spoon from France. It has a emblem on it I am not sure of. Can this be the mark of Meurice hotel in Paris. Must have been snatch from there. This is a Five O’Clock Teaspoon in Perles (pattern from 1890). It bares the silver plate mark for 1935-1983.
Thank you
Jannie

AG2012
contributor

Re: Crest on French Cristofle silverplated spoon

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Yes, it`s Meurice hotel in Paris. They have changed the logo. This is vintage luggage sticker.
Regards

JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Thank you
Wonder if it is possible to age this spoon. Would they have got rid of everything with the old label on?
Jannie
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Meurice cutlery today.
Having in mind the reputation, I doubt old cutlery was just dumped. Besides, apart from ``souvenirs`` from the hotel, Meurice items are scarce.
The same logo appeared on menus in the `60, but that does not help much; it was used on documented luggage stickers before WW II.
Your spoon was made after 1935. Hand engraved, as far as I can see and old pearl pattern. All said, more likely to be dated closer to WW II than much later.
http://www.925-1000.com/a_christofle.html

Regards
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Thank you
Imagine the journey it had. Lived in a 5 star hotel in Paris and ended up in a pawn shop at the tip of Africa. It is a nice quality piece and I use it almost daily.
Groete
Jannie
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Tip of Africa! Might you have a sample from Queen's Hotel Sea Point Cape Town for the site?

As to hand work, even with Christofle, commercial wares require huge production levels so a stamp is normal on plated items. Just the losses in removed items every year requires constant replenishing of the stock. And no matter who the maker or user, we are lucky when any items survive as there are people who regularly buy up the remains of the establishment to recover the silver (small amounts on each item aggregate into large volumes).
JanGroen
contributor

Post by JanGroen »

Good evening

I will check through the plated ware when visiting my parents again.
I do have 2 forks with me of the Carlton Hotel. It is by Sabonet Italy.

Return to “Family Crests”