Large Coat of Arms

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
bstaunto
contributor

Large Coat of Arms

Post by bstaunto »

Hi guys,

I posted this a number of years ago under Provincial and Colonial for help with the marks. That didn't turn up anything, so I thought I might see if the Coat of Arms can help. Also, I had one friend say he thought the Coat of Arms was a bit over the top for an English piece...does that ring true?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

nobilityhouse
contributor

Re: Large Coat of Arms

Post by nobilityhouse »

The coat of arms is impaled for a husband and wife. On the viewer’s left, the husband’s arms are quartered; Gules (red) and Ermine (fur spots) with the first and fourth quarters containing a goat’s head. This is for MORETON or Morton, possibly of Little Moreton Hall near Congleton in Cheshire. On the viewer’s right the arms are Or (gold) two bars Gules, in chief three torteaux (red circles) for WAKE, possibly of Tothall Manor, Bucks. The names are common, and I have not yet found a marriage connection. I have found a Peter Moreton being private secretary to Sir Isaac Wake, who was ambassador at Turin. Moreton later became ambassador to Genoa and Tuscany for King Charles I, but that was centuries before this salver was made. Normally the crest and motto would match the husband’s arms, but that does not seem to be the case here, at least I have not found a Moreton or Morton that uses a goat’s head in a ducal coronet. The motto translates "Blessed be the name of the Lord" which was a common enough slogan. Perhaps it was a younger son who took up holy orders. This would have made an impressive wedding gift.
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

A very delayed thank-you! I missed this!
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day Ben,

Certainly a very impressive object. Would you consider reposting new images of the marks? May I suggest breaking them up into four images then rotate, crop, and enlarge each if possible.

Warren
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Once again revisiting old mysteries. Here are close ups of the marks.

Cheers, Ben

Return to “Family Crests”