Sugar Sifter - 1811 - HS over ES - Horse head in ramparts?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
SimonJersey

Sugar Sifter - 1811 - HS over ES - Horse head in ramparts?

Post by SimonJersey »

Hello again
Another crest to decipher, A Silver Gilt Sugar sifter from 1811, No town mark so presumed London, Makers mark HS over GS - Mary and Elizabeth Sumner (George III duty mark). The crest is very clear, showing a horses head in ramparts with some sort of crown around its neck. Its a splendid item but what does the crest say about the piece?
Any ideas?
Many thanks
Simon

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Simon,

March perhaps?

Trev.
SimonJersey

Post by SimonJersey »

Hello Trev
That certainly looks likely to be March - with the initial "M" too. What would explain the coronet around the horse's neck be - would this mean a different strain of the same family?
Thank you
Simon
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

if it were marsh it would have a coronet about the neck - it may indeed be one of the many marches but which one? what people often forget - and why should they be expected to know this? - there may be fifteen marsh/march/etc families with different but stylistically/elementally related crests. q: whose images are you using?
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Simon,

Mary & Elizabeth Sumner's mark was MS over ES in an oval not HS over GS which was hopefully just a misread. There is no record of the latter combination.

Mike
SimonJersey

Post by SimonJersey »

Hello all

Mike - Yes you are right, I have misread the mark - the M is slightly obscure and has been misread by me as H.

Incidentally, I have recently managed to find the pictorial crest resource on GoogleBooks that Trev and various forum members use (this being "Heraldry of Crests" by Elven 1829), from that the crest could also be from a strain of the "Mash" Family as this does bear the coronet around the Horse's neck:

Regards
Simon

Return to “Family Crests”