Teaspoon 1795 - GS over WF - Deer on crown motif?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
SimonJersey

Teaspoon 1795 - GS over WF - Deer on crown motif?

Post by SimonJersey »

Hello again
2nd Post on the forum! I know this one probably is only good for scrap and not overly exciting but the crest might make it a little more interesting? No town mark so assumed London 1795 (Duty mark George III) GS over WF for George Smith III and William Fearn.
Apologies it is quite worn.
Any ideas
Thanks
Simon

JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Do there appear to be balls between the oak leaves? If not it appears to be the same stag as your other piece, but with an elevation to a Duke.

Easiest to remember the English crowns:

Big balls in a row (usually 4-5)= Barron
Small balls in a row (usually 7-9)=Vicount
Balls on high spurs, oak leaves closer to bandeau=Earl
Balls alternating with oak leaves all on short spurs=Marquise
All oak leaves on short spurs=Duke
Maltise crosses=Royal

Most engraved crowns show 4-6 elements above the bandeau on either short or tall spurs.

Here is a link to an good online reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldic_crown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SimonJersey

Post by SimonJersey »

Thank you JLDoggett for your prompt response. I have had another look at the spoon again, but it is very worn. Out of the crown/coronet options the Duke does seem most likely as there are definately no balls of any sort - and if anything the crown looks like it might have leaves.
Also forgot to mention that the spoon has no connection with the lamp
thanks
Simon
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I always find if I can reduce the style to one level of the peerage it is so much easier to locate the owner of the crest or arms or at least the family.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Simon,

Sherridan, Gooch and Whitaker.

Trev.
SimonJersey

Post by SimonJersey »

Hello Trev
Thank you again for your post! Yes All three are matching, but I have a hunch that Gooch might be the closest - as it has a slightly more elongated neck than the other two names. Nevertheless the crown is quite worn and on the other names the crowns do differ so it could be any of the three...
Could anyone tell me if the initial looks to be a J or an F? How would that relate to teh Gooch/Sherridan/Whittaker (Would this be a relatives first name?)
Thanks
Simon
Seapeaks

Re: Teaspoon 1795 - GS over WF - Deer on crown motif?

Post by Seapeaks »

Hello,

I have some pieces with this crest on I think it's a stag? & I'm from Jersey too, how odd.

Return to “Family Crests”