Silver Lamp - EHS London 1877 - Crowned Deer?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
SimonJersey

Silver Lamp - EHS London 1877 - Crowned Deer?

Post by SimonJersey »

Good eve, am new to the forum and have been browsing with interest.
I have a silver oil lamp, made by E H Stockwell hallmarked London 1877. It has a crest of what looks like a crowned deer, someone suggested that this might have some sort of royal connection to Devon/Devonshire - however that I am not certain about. I have taken a photo of the thumbpiece of the lamp showing the crest. Any ideas?
Regards
Simon

JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

That is the crown of an Earl, so it belonged to someone of certain importance.
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

thomas scott, earl of clonmel
SimonJersey

Post by SimonJersey »

Kerangoumar - Please could you inform me how you came to this conclusion - what sources do you use?

Regards
Simon
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

fairbairn's
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

sorry i don't know what my browser was doing - fairbairn's, cross-ref. w general armory of england,scotland, ireland and wales, robson's cabinet of armorial bearings and another which has fallen behind the book case.

re crests, there has been a change of usage over time, from a specific individual to a family, particularly if that individual was outstanding in some sense. so it is not always possible to say with certainty that a particular crest belonged to that person, or someone who wished to honour the memory of that person.

one can generally also tell from the components of the crest (and shield) whether it is ancient, very old, or victorian or later.
SimonJersey

Post by SimonJersey »

Thank you Kerangoumar, I decided to trawl the internet to see if I could find online copies of the above to look at the sources.

General Amory by Burke (1884):

Fairbairn’s Crests (Two volumes in One edition of 1911):

The British Herald by Robson (1830):

Please excuse my ignorance, I see the descriptions above may give an indication of a possible connection (I understand the lack of provenance cannot confirm).
How did you initially find the Family name from the crest design? (As the sources show you have to know the family name first before you can find the crest design)

Regards

Simon

Return to “Family Crests”