Family Crest/Insignia with Greyhounds?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
Skittles9654

Family Crest/Insignia with Greyhounds?

Post by Skittles9654 »

I have a large silver ladle that I've dated to Dublin 1828. I know by the "TF" that the maker is Thomas Farnett. However, there is an insignia on the front that I assume is some kind of crest or insignia. I'd love to know what it means. It looks to me like two greyhounds facing away from each other, but I don't really know.

There is also a mark that says "I & G" on the back of the handle. I'm not sure what that means either.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Family Crest/Insignia with Greyhounds?

Post by Sasropakis »

It's a crest so a heraldic symbol indicating the family that owned the ladle. Looks like they creatures could be greyhounds and a similar crest can be found here (bottom left corner):

https://archive.org/details/fairbairnsb ... 3/mode/2up

You should find the index part of Fairbairn's book for plate 60, number 12 to find the name of the family. It can be found online too but I don't have time just now to search it. But bear in mind that there can be several families using similar crests and the colours which might differentiate them can't be shown on engravings. I&G are probably initials (& is a bit strange though) but they might be for later owners and not necessarily for those whose crests is there.
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

Here's a link to the index part: https://archive.org/details/fairbairnsb ... 6/mode/2up

Following families used the crest: Atkin, Atkins, Atkyns, Bratt, Lysons. None of those matches the initials but they might be later. But it's rather difficult to determine if the ladle belonged to some of those families (maybe if you can find some Irish connections) or if a similar crest was used by some others.
Skittles9654

Post by Skittles9654 »

Thanks so much for the info. It's very helpful.

I did find a whole branch of the family that relocated to Ireland, so it makes sense that it probably belonged to one of them.

Return to “Family Crests”