London Maker - Unregistered

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

TheSandDancer

London Maker - Unregistered

Post by TheSandDancer »

I have had in my possession for some time a pair of salts from 1763 hallmarked for London. I asked a fella' by the name of Phil who is with silvermakersmarks.co.uk back in 2011. This is not the exact mark that appears on the pair of salts as most of it is rubbed. But this is what it likely looks like when in full. He says that it is an unregistered mark which does not appear in the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co and is also unidentified with Grimwade who has a list of London marks from 1697 to 1837. I know that if they don't have any records nobody else will know but if anyone can help that would be great.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: London Maker - Unregistered

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to record your findings here.

Just for the record, is it possible that you can post some more images, of the original marks, both hallmarks and maker's marks, and an image of the salts. It may well be very useful should a partial mark appear on the forum.

Trev.
buckler

Re: London Maker - Unregistered

Post by buckler »

In particular to see the assay marks on these salts would be most useful in verifying that they actually do date to 1763. The makers mark illustrated is not in the normal form for the mid 18th century and I am rather cautious over this

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”