Page 1 of 1

18th century ?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:09 am
by prezes_krkk
Can some one help mi find out it these marks are 18th century and who the maker is?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:44 am
by buckler
The marks are almost certainly for London 1781/82. The makers marks are obviously of a partnership but I'm unable to tell the exact letters except for the top left which is a T . It could be TL over IS which would make it Thomas Lawrence Jnr & James Sage's mark registered as smallworkers in March 1771.
The horizontal layout of the marks , with the makers mark at right angles rather worries me. I'm not familiar with this sort of item , but it seems more likely to be the mark on an item of flatware like a spoon, rather than a plate item. But I'll let others, more expert to comment

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:55 pm
by salmoned
I wouldn't even commit to suggesting the upper left letter IS a 'T', it appears an overstrike and may be an 'I' or even another letter. Also, it may not be the upper left letter at all. This will require considerable imagination to decypher.