D F perhaps David Field - Grimwade Unidentified No 3514

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

johnm

D F perhaps David Field - Grimwade Unidentified No 3514

Post by johnm »

Hi, I need help to identify this makers mark on a silver egg shaped thimble holder.Many thanks !Image
Image[/img]
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello,
The mark could possibly the one identified at item 3514 of Grimwade's publication on London Goldsmiths which he attributes to David Field but whom he names as Daniel at page 748 in a biographical account.
Field is said to have been active as a silversmith from circa 1727 and died in 1770.
Another interesting note in the biography relates to Field's appearance at the Old Bailey in March 1762 prosecuting his journeyman Christian Robinson for the theft of 15 silver boxes formed, inter alia, as eggs.
Mike
johnm

Post by johnm »

Hi Mike, thanks for the info.I seems that it is worth more investigation.I would love to know more.John
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

That is David Field and his journeyman Christopher Robinson.

The transcript of the trial that occured on the 21st of April 1762 was as follows:

Christopher Robinson, was indicted for stealing two vessels of silver in the shape of a barrel, value 5s. three vessels of silver in the shape of an egg, value 6s. two vessels of silver in the shape of a jar, value 5s. and eight other vessels in the shape of an egg, value 12s. the property of David Field , March 26th.

David Field: I am a silversmith . The prisoner was my journeyman near 35 years. I lost the goods mentioned in the indictment. Mr. Wintle came to me on the 26th of March, and asked me, if I ever sent goods out of my shop unfinished? I said, no. Then said he, I am afraid you have got a partner, and shewed me the things mentioned. I know them to be my property, and the work of my own hands.

Mr. Wintle: I bought these things of Mr. Yowell. Mr. Field does business for me in this way. I took them to be of his work. I carried them to him, and he owned them directly.

William Cadwallider: I took 15 spung boxes in the shape of eggs, barrels, and the like, of the prisoner at the bar, in pawn. I kept them the time we agreed. Then I sold them to Samuel Yowell a Jew.

Samuel Yowell: I bought those things produced of Mr. Cadwallider, and sold them again to Mr. Wintle. [Produced in court, and deposed to by the prosecutor].

Prisoner's Defence:
The pawnbroker had them not half a year before he sold them. I said, pray do not part with them, for I intend to have them again.

The prisoner called Joseph and William Sterne.The first had known him near 27 years, and the other 17; who both gave him a good character.

Guilty. Sentenced to Transportation.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.j ... 7620421-24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
johnm

Post by johnm »

Thanks very much for that Trev.Regards John

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”