T H - on buckles - probably Thomas Hatton

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

buckler

T H - on buckles - probably Thomas Hatton

Post by buckler »

These two marks, both from stock buckles with the 1756 -1784 London Lion Passant are probably the same punch, but with different wear and photography .

They are very close to Grimwade No 2798 - Thomas Hatton's smallworker mark of 26 June 1762.
So close that , like the Sarey Price SP's on this site, the question again arises - is a poor impression in Goldsmiths' Hall Register, as reproduced via a photocopy, reponsible for the minor differences ?
Another one to be compared with the photocopy register, or if I can persuade the Library, the original.

Thomas Hatton may well have had marks in the lost smallworkers register as he states in an Old Bailey case of 1760 " I am a silver buckle maker" which is prior to his first register mark.
Died on Wednesday 7th March 1764, his will being proved at PCC on 15 March 1764.

In the will he describes himself as "Silver Buckle Maker ". and that he was the brother of Samuel Hatton (also described as "Silver Buckle Maker").

He left most of his estate to a lady called Margaret Murphy, Widow .
She was given as resident , like himself, in the Parish of St Annes, Soho and in the will was treated as one would expect if she was his wife. The lady was described in one part of the will as "the reputed Wife " of Thomas Hatton and her daughter, Mary Murphy was also described as the "reputed daughter" of Thomas Hatton. What the word "reputed" implies I am not quite sure, but my feeling is what we would term, or used to term ,"commom law". Man and Wife but not Churched !
buckler

T H - probably Thomas Hatton from Lost Register

Post by buckler »

A TH script mark bearing a remarkable resemblance to the 1762 one shown in the previous post has now been seen on a stock buckle with the 1740 - 1756 Lion Passant .
Almost certainly a Lost Smallworkers Register mark of Thomas Hatton.

Both photos are of the same mark - the original being very small and camera-shy

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”