C A – Probably a small bucklemaker

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

buckler

C A — Probably a small bucklemaker

Post by buckler »

CA

This mark is often seen on stock ( the neck cravat ) buckles and once on a pair of knee buckles.

There appear to be at least four marks — all probably by the same maker. Two of the marks have both been seen on stock buckles of a distinct design almost certainly the workof one maker .
All three periods of London Assay Lions are covered , although the one example of 1720 —1740 lion is believed to be a forgery so his dates probably only span the 1740 — 1770 period. The pair of knee buckles by him appears to have a great amount more copper than sterling should ! I have a suspicion that ,like many bucklemakers he was something of a rogue .

CA Mark 1. -------- On a pair of Knee buckles with the 1740 —1756 London Lion

CA Mark 2. -------- On plain stock buckle of with the 1740 —1756 London Lion. Appears to be a variant, but different punch to Mark 1 . Same period

CA Mark 3. --------- On a decorated stock buckle with the 1740 —1756 London Lion

CA Mark 4.. -------- On two plain stock buckles of different types , one with the standard London Lion of 1756 —1784 period. The other ( illustrated ) has a most peculiar lion. At a glance it looks like the 1720 —1740 London Lion but a closer look reveals it to have two staring google eyes ! I think this may be a forged mark, the forger having drilled the punch for eyes rather than made it with protrusions. Both it, and the makers marks appear to have been made by sandcasting !

I can find no suspects for this guy and can only assume he was in the lost smallworkers register. Or kept remarkably well away from the Assay Office
buckler

Post by buckler »

Another CA mark on a stock buckle. Stock buckles if plain are virtually impossible to date stylistically, although small ones like this ( frame 36mm by 24mm,) are more common in the pre 1760 period

This one was erroneously thought to have a post 1756 Lion Passant Guardant , but has proved to be another “google eyed “ Lion . To me it looks, from the bulging eyes and the matchstick and blob legs, to be a forged version of the 1740 —1756 London Lion.

My wife, given our habit of naming the Lions Passant with titles like, “the cottage loaf Lion “, “the hairy Lion” and “the scrawny Lion”, has named this one “ the Garfield Lion”

I am now not sure if there are any CA marks with the 1756 —1784 Lion

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”