Help Identifying Writing on silver 1889 cane

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
mrowan

Help Identifying Writing on silver 1889 cane

Post by mrowan »

Hello,
Can anyone help me identify the markings on the silver band of this cane? It has been in my family for generations. It may be from the Newcastle area but I can't be certain. There is a date which clearly shows 14th 1889 but I can not figure out the month or the writing above the date. There are two small boxes. One box has three letters. The first looks like a J and the last letter is an A. I cannot make out the middle letter. The symbols in the small box above are very difficult to make out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Help Identifying Writing on silver 1889 cane

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your images are not showing. I suspect you are attempting to use an inappropriate photo host. https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Phil
mrowan

Post by mrowan »

Thank you. Here are the images using postimage:

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I think you may have omitted one of your original pictures as the first and last ones above are identical.

The "J?A" mark I read as JEA. It seems pretty much identical to a maker's mark registered in London by James Ebenezer Allcock who was in business as a gold and silver mounter and is listed in a trades directory as a stick maker. This version of his mark was only in use from 28 Jan 1888 to 26 Nov 1888 after which he used JA. However I can't convince myself that the mark above that is a London hallmark:

although the central component could be the uncrowned leopard's head.

Phil
mrowan

Post by mrowan »

That is wonderful. Thank you very much. I did omit the first image. I will repost. I am interested in the date and significance of it. Was it a commemoration of some sort? The 14th 1889 is clear but I can not make out the month. I have looked up English script from the 18th century but I still can not make it out. Also, the writing above the date is unfortunately worn but if there are any letters that your trained eye can discern would be great? Thanks again for your help.

(admin photo edit - remember to use the preview feature)

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”