Peter Bateman "singular" makers mark question.

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Danpan

Peter Bateman "singular" makers mark question.

Post by Danpan »

Hi all, I noticed a thread 5 years ago titled "Peter Bateman singular hallmark 1806?" and saw the question appeared to be unresolved and in any case I couldn't see the pictures which must have expired. I too have found an example of a teaspoon with the "PB" makers mark on what appears to be a London 1806 piece and have researched high and low without finding any evidence that Peter Bateman ever marked his work like this? I have an earlier Peter & Ann Bateman spoon and the font appears the same "PB" but wit "AB" below.

"dognose" was asking for a close up of the mark on that old thread and i'm not sure if it was posted or not so I'm trying again with my item now in the hope that this question can be answered.

[img] https://imgur.com/a/kEfKcGa [img]

Many thanks for any info from more knowledgable Bateman buffs on this site.

Daniel
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Peter Bateman "singular" makers mark question.

Post by dognose »

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for posting the image. I think what you have here is the mark of Peter and William Bateman:

The mark is perhaps mis-struck, perhaps due the curve, and the 'WB' part not clear.

Please ensure in future posts that your images are embedded.

Trev.
Danpan

Post by Danpan »

Dear Trev, thanks for the quick response! I did consider the Peter and William mark but I'm struggling to find any shadow of a mis-strike on this spoon and I cant find a clear copy of a Peter and William mark, but the one that is on this site doesn't appear to have a clear line between the two sets of initials.
Are we saying that there are no examples of a "PB" mark in existence? If thats the case then fair enough, it must be as you suggest.

Thanks again

Dan

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Daniel,

Here is the mark of Peter and William Bateman:

Note the almost continuous line above the 'WB' part, and note the gap above and below the 'PB' part.

I've altered the contrast on your image:

Can you see the ghost of the upper right-hand part of the 'W'?

Trev.
Danpan

Post by Danpan »

Yes I can see it clearer on your pictures now, thanks for taking the time to explain :-)

Dan

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”