Anybody recognise this antique B & C mark?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
eadenhall

Anybody recognise this antique B & C mark?

Post by eadenhall »

Hello there

I have a set of small sliver vanity tools that have the stamp of B&C on them. The tools date from around 1868, but I cannot find who this maker's mark belongs to.

Any help would be warmly appreciated

DE

nigel le sueur
contributor

Re: Anybody recognise this antique B & C mark?

Post by nigel le sueur »

Hi
l am not 100% sure but l have come across a B & C mark for Brookes and Crookes, there is a note next to the mark "earlier incuse mark Nov 1864" they worked from Atlantic Works, St Phillips Road Sheffield, where this was assayed
Regards
eadenhall

Post by eadenhall »

Hello Nigel

Thank you so much for your reply. After researching these maker's, I think you are totally right.

My appreciation again

DE
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello

As Nigel has said Brookes & Crookes entered an incuse mark B & C at the Sheffield AO in 1864.
The second edition of The Sheffield Assay Office Register published in 1989 by the Assay Office itself lists the mark shown in the image to have been entered by these manufacturers on 13th December 1893 from the same address as previously mentioned.
On the face of it there is a problem with attributing the 1893 mark of Brookes and Crookes to items produced in 1868 and the Victoria Duty mark ought not to be seen in conjunction with it because this mark went out of use on 1st May 1890.
The probability is that Brookes and Crookes failed to register the mark when first brought into use but a problem arises out of the fact that the register mentioned above shows another B & C mark entered at Sheffield in 1859 by Brown & Clark of Birmingham although in a style different to the one pictured here. As they were still producing items until around 1881 it is possible the mark could be one they too failed to register.

Mike

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”