unidentifiable mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
mcpike

unidentifiable mark

Post by mcpike »

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have spent a few days trying to find a category to put the attached mark in. But honestly, I can't figure out what country it is from. I had suspicions about it being Andrew Goodwyn from Ireland however there is no fleur d lis over the AG. Any help would be very welcome. Thanks

http://aycu17.webshots.com/image/44256/ ... 369_rs.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

The mark left of the 925 is the import mark for London.
larkfield
contributor

Post by larkfield »

The makers mark is the London Importer Arthur Graf, and date looks to be 1912
mcpike

Post by mcpike »

larkfield wrote:The makers mark is the London Importer Arthur Graf, and date looks to be 1912
How did you find out that it was Arthur Graf and how could I find out where it originated from. thanks
EnT

unidentifiable mark

Post by EnT »

Interestingly, I have a tobacco pebble with similar importer mark as shown below. I queried this in the forum many moons ago, though without much success unfortunately.

Although AG seems to be identical the city marks are for Chester and 1907 I believe. Did Arthur Graf move to London from Chester sometime between 1907 and 1912 perhaps?

Image[/URL]

All the best, Ian T
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The mark is illustrated and the information given in John Culme's, "Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914" (Woodbridge, Suffolk: Antique Collector's Club, 1987)

It is fairly safe to assume, especially given the Chester example, that he was registered with other assay offices. I am not sure why this is so, but it seems to have become a fairly common practice beginning in the late 19th/early 20th cent.

Regards, Tom

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”