Salt Spoon Marked SHAW

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sf1958

Salt Spoon Marked SHAW

Post by sf1958 »

Hi
Can anyone tell me anything about this spoon. Judging by it's size, shape and the inscription it seems likely to be British, probably Georgian or early Victorian. An acid test gives the same results as sterling. I am wondering if it is silver plated, although given its probable age I would expect to see some wear to the plate in the usual places, also neither the acid test or rubbing the metal with a coarse nail polisher exposed any base metal. The edges of the stem of the handle show a slightly rough appearance. I can not find any similar hallmark anywhere and wondered if it could be a provincial mark?

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Salt Spoon Marked SHAW

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
sf1958

Post by sf1958 »

Hi dognose
thank you, are the images not showing? they are on my computer
sf1958

Post by sf1958 »

These are the images:
Heamatite

Post by Heamatite »

Many thanks for posting this fascinating spoon. Appearences can be deceptive however it looks as if it is plated over a base metal. One possible candidate may be George Shaw of Birmingham plater, deaker, and chapman declared bannkrupt February 1831. A fiddle fork has been seen marked SHAW but in four seperate gothic font punches.

Heamatite
sf1958

Post by sf1958 »

Thank you very much Haematite. I am sure you are right about it being silver plate, I have examined the worn edges of the handle under a microscope and can see there is a thick layer of silver over a base metal which has tarnished to a black colour. I think it is probably old Sheffield plate. As to whether it is by George Shaw or another Shaw I will have to see if any more information turns up. I have not been able to find an image of a similar stamp anywhere on the internet.
Heamatite

Post by Heamatite »

Delighted to help and thanks again for sharing images. A good fridge magnet will confirm either steel or copper as the base metal The black lettering effect will occur if either metals are cut deep enough and this is often done to achieve the contrast.
One other indication of the various types is the formation of the finial. No solder plated forms of this date have a die struck end whereas even late period old Sheffield condiment and tea spoons always seem to. Another image of this area would cormirm.

Haematite
sf1958

Post by sf1958 »

Thanks again Haematite, here are 2 more views to show the finial, are you able to distinguish any more information from them?

Heamatite

Post by Heamatite »

Very helpful photos possibly confirming the old Sheffield hypothersis for the spoon. The typical late O.S spoons are often lightweight if not downright flimsy so this one is more similar to all silver forms. A gut feeling, given the proportions and engraving, is to wonder if this is a provincial i.e non Sheffield, Birmingham or London made spoon. Could it be Irish or Scottish?

p.s Should this topic now be listed under another heading?

Heamatite
sf1958

Post by sf1958 »

Yes it could be provincial, the spoon is quite solid and not light or flimsy, I am not sur how to move the topic.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”