Dognose spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Dognose spoon

Post by paulh »

I have put this in the Provincial & Colonial Marks section, but I am not sure just where it is from. Any ideas anyone?

Aguest
contributor

Re: Dognose spoon

Post by Aguest »

The outlines of the hallmarks are a distinct "wavy-line" pattern that I have seen in pictures of Norfolk silver (assayed in Norwich). ::::: The assay office was closed in 1701 and the silver is quite rare, I have only seen pictures of spoons in museums or auction houses. :::: I wonder what the "drop" of the spoon looks like (where the shaft meets the bowl on the underneath side). ::::
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Norwich is an intersting thought. I have seen examples of Scottish silver with the "wavy" edge. Also pieces of Hanau silver amongst others The joint is a rather nice ribbed rattail.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

There is a "pseudo hallmark" quality about the hallmarks, as if the silversmith wanted the hallmarks to just barely pass a visual test. ::: Could be made by a silversmith who was a "duty-dodger" and applied pseudo-hallmarks. :::: I have heard of a book on "West Country Provincial Silver" with interesting provincial hallmarks, I am not sure if an answer is there or not. :::: I want to say it is circa 1700, but it could easily be older as well, I had a spoon in a similar form from Germany with a similar beaded rat-tail and the maker's mark was for a silversmith who became a master in 1614. ::::

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”