French Candle Snuffers?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

French Candle Snuffers?

Post by neurorocker »

I recovered a pair of snuffers from Toronto. They are marked with a crowned S and with the maker mark, IFD. I presumed from Tardy that these must be French. I had a theory that this could be a Lille mark for French maker, Ignace-François Delezenne, but I'd appreciate any insight on these. Lovely and extremely heavy gauge.

Interesting arms. Gules a chevron engrailed between three wolves heads erased, the chevron engrailed and the Red Hand of Ulster indicating they were made for a baronet, which one I do not know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

AG2012
contributor

Re: French Candle Snuffers?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Those are not French marks. Possibly British colonial.
Regards
neurorocker

Re: French Candle Snuffers?

Post by neurorocker »

Ok, thanks AG2012. Then these are surely made in Canada by a French-origin maker for an English baronet based on the English arms. So I wonder if this is likely Ignace-François Delezenne working during the period when Quebec was in an English colony (1763- c.1775). Delezenne was known to cater to the English at this time in Quebec until about 1775, so that would make a lot of sense.

ADMIN: If you could shift this thread over to a more Canadian area that would be useful and appreciated.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”