New Zealand, Australian silver spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mk209
contributor

New Zealand, Australian silver spoon?

Post by mk209 »

This spoon I paid way more than I would usually pay for a teaspoon but had a feeling it might be interesting. It’s marked STG SILV 1’ KM Turner? The bowl has the hammer marks left. Maybe this time my buy isn’t anything but a modern tourist piece? I was thinking possibly it dates to the 1920’s and is of an arts and crafts period and the maker is of importance. Are my instincts way off this time?

Matt.
Aguest
contributor

Re: New Zealand, Australian silver spoon?

Post by Aguest »

Auckland Arts & Crafts Club Exposition 1912. :: Found a mention which indicates that your instincts were correct ::

"Kit Turner, lirass repousse tray, from 1912 Auckland Arts and Crafts Club exhibition"

The tray is quite nice and the design does remind me of your spoon in sort of a subdued repousse sort of way. ::::
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Interesting many thanks. I’ve had a search but can’t find much on Kit Turner only the mention about the Arts and Crafts club in 1912. Really hope I can find out more.

My first piece of New Zealand silver so pleased to get this.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Looking at the name it does look like it reads ‘Kit Turner’
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Matt,

Another great find! But you'll have to wait for that first piece of New Zealand silver, for this spoon is likely Australian.

Kit Turner exhibited her work (water colours, jewellery and metalwork in silver, pewter and copper) frequently around Australia during the 1920's-1930's. She was Melbourne-based and married to the metalworker, Alfred Dunstan.

Trev.
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

Wow thanks Trev that’s superb info! As far as I could make out she exhibited for the Elam arts school in Auckland in 1912 so that’s why I was on the NZ path. Maybe she studied there?

I love these items they lead to research and peoples lives, it’s so interesting.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”