Lion passant facing right

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joho
contributor

Lion passant facing right

Post by joho »

Hi All. Can anyone shed any light on this 18th century teaspoon. Its appearance dates it to 1720's or 1730's. It is bottom marked with maker's mark IG with a pellet between and a lion passant facing right (not very well struck, but discernable), in a straight-sided rectangular punch. My initial thoughts were that it was from Newcastle, but I am unable to find a Newcastle maker's mark matching IG. Can anyone help!!! Many thanks.
John

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Lion passant facing right

Post by dognose »

Hi John,

Like you, I can find no 'I·G' registered with Newcastle. I'll move the topic to 'Provincial & Colonial'.

Trev.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Thanks Trev. Can you leave it with Newcastle as well as Provincial and Colonial or is that against the rules?

All the best
John
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

It will continue to appear as a 'Ghost' topic in the Newcastle section. Anyone clicking on the 'ghost' topic will automatically be directed to the original.

Trev.
joho
contributor

Post by joho »

Many thanks Trev.

John
mk209
contributor

Post by mk209 »

This spoon (or one the same) is now with me. It feels British with a typical marriage triangle of initials engraved on the back. Although it’s in a typical 1730’s style it’s very well defined so maybe of a later period? I’ve searched Colonial but had no luck so far.

Matt
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

In the interest of grouping this oddity practice (psuedo right lion and maker initials): viewtopic.php?f=57&p=169295#p169295
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Could the "I" be a "J". Don't want to go to far astray, but did Jabez Gorham ever has his own mark in the earliest days?

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”