I this mark Jersey or London?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
trevorg
contributor

I this mark Jersey or London?

Post by trevorg »

Hello,

Whilst reading through the book on the Irwin Untermyer Collection of English Silver I came across the reference below to a makers mark of GS beneath a crowned fleur de lys which was attributed to London c1690.

I have a spoon with this mark in my collection and had always attributed it to Jersey using theisland wiki as a reference.
http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/ ... ers'_marks

What are your thoughts on the correct attribution?

Happy New Year to all.

regards,
Trevor
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: I this mark Jersey or London?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This mark does not appear in Jackson's list of London marks and there does not seem to be any evidence of a London hallmark so I would be inclined to believe the Jersey attribution. I leave it to others to comment on the construction of the spoon, which seems to me to be somewhat unusual.

Phil
trevorg
contributor

Re: I this mark Jersey or London?

Post by trevorg »

Hi Phil,

Having also looked through Jacksons and Grimwade without success I had also come to the conclusion that Jersey was the most likely attribution but as the Untermyer collection had been scrutinised, documented and catalogued by some distinguished experts I thought that I may have missed something somewhere. The shape of the bowl is not what one would naturally expect for a spoon from this period (c1690-1722) but having trawled through the internet I found a similar spoon with the same mark sold by a reputable auction house in Guernsey which has the same shape of bowl and rat tail (some images are below) and which they have dated to c1710 (they also put the mark as being 10 years earlier at 1680-1722). So unless anyone can add to this I will close this out as being a Jersey hallmark. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,
Trevor

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”